Facing a criminal charge can be devastating.  Close friends might jump to conclusions or make judgments without all of the facts and may even treat you differently.  You may have never been in this position and do not know where to turn.  I can help.  I have been practicing criminal law since 1994.  I practice all over the state of New Hampshire in both the Superior and District Courts.  I handle all types of cases including motor vehicle violations, misdemeanors and felonies.

If you have never been in the situation where you or someone close to you has been charged with a crime, there are a few important things you should know.  Never talk to the police without first consulting with an attorney.  You have an absolute, constitutional right not to answer questions about a crime with which you might be charged.  You should not be rude, surly or offensive but you SHOULD  BE firm when you tell the officer or investigator that you will not answer any questions without first consulting with an attorney.

If you are charged with a crime or believe you may be charged with a crime, contact a criminal defense attorney.  Most people know at least one attorney.  That attorney may specialized in a particular field such as real estate, wills and estates or contracts. What you need when you are facing a criminal charge, however, is someone who specializes in criminal defense.

In New Hampshire there are three classes of offenses:  violations, misdemeanors and felonies.  A felony, the most serious offense, can have a penalty of a state prison sentence up to and including life without parole.  A misdemeanor can result in a jail sentence up to one year and a fine of up to $2,000.

Being charged with any offense is serious.  A motor vehicle violation can lead to a significant fine, a potential loss of license and an increase in insurance premiums.  A misdemeanor or felony can have an effect on employment, your privilege to drive, your right to vote and your right to posses a firearm.  If you, or someone  you know, is charged with a crime or think they might be charged, call me.  I will meet with them to discuss  their options and answers their questions.